| Organization: ||
City and County of San Francisco
|| Job Category: ||
Engineering and Technology
|| Job Type: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$99,294.00 - $99,294.00/year
|| Post Date: || 03/20/2017 ||
Stationary Engineer, Sewage Plant
Under general supervision, incumbents in this journey-level position function as plant operators and/or plant mechanics and are responsible for operating and maintaining a wide variety of complex machinery and equipment in a sewage treatment plant. Positions are located at the San Francisco International Airport, North Point, Southeast or Oceanside plants, Treasure Island, and in Moccasin, California, approximately 140 miles from San Francisco. The Stationary Engineer also performs other duties as assigned.
The essential functions of the stationary engineer, sewage plant include: operating, maintaining, and repairing a wide variety of complex machinery and equipment in a sewage treatment plant or pumping station; utilizing DCS/SCADA system and other systems or programs; maintaining, overhauling, and making repairs to a variety of pumping, heating, ventilating, process machinery, and equipment in wastewater treatment plant or pump station; inspecting equipment, machinery and systems, through visual, auditory, olfactory and tactile senses, for normal and safe operation; inspecting and testing all plant machinery and equipment; collecting and analyzing sewage and chemical samples; and inspecting sewage pipe lines, tanks, and gates. Incumbents may be required to drive, and are responsible for carrying out and explaining established plant operations, methods and procedures; preparing and maintaining routine plant logs, records, and reports; may be required to serve as acting supervisor.
Nature of work involves: physical effort in the operation, maintenance and repair of plant machinery and equipment; driving vehicles; working in somewhat dirty, disagreeable and hazardous conditions, including the handling of raw sewage, confined space entry, and entry into tight crawl spaces; requires physical stamina to stand, stoop, lift, bend and climb ladders. Employee may be required to work rotating shifts, nights, weekends, and holidays, including up to 12-hour shifts.
1. Four years of verifiable journey level Stationary Engineer, Plant Operator and/or Plant Mechanic experience in the operation, maintenance, and repair of a variety of mechanical and electrical pumping, heating, air-conditioning, ventilating, and related plant machinery of wastewater treatment plant; government establishment; hospital; industrial, production, or commercial building; OR
2. Completion of a recognized four-year stationary engineer Apprenticeship Program; OR
3. Graduation from a recognized four-year Maritime Academy with a degree in Engineering or technology; OR
4. Possession of at least a 3rd Assistant Marine Engineer's License of any unrestricted horsepower (experience as an Oiler or Firetender will not be accepted as qualifying); OR
5. Possession of a FAA Airframe or Power Plant Certificate and four years verifiable experience in an Airframe or Power plant mechanic or maintenance technician capacity that utilizes the certificate; AND
6. Possession of a valid driver's license.
Verification substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications for this class MUST be submitted by the filing deadline. Please see “VERIFICATION” section below.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.